- Edge Types
- Granite Colors
- Stone Care Protect
- Why Granite
- Why Engineered Stone
- What are the DO’s and DON’Ts of Granite?
Granite vs. Other Countertop Choices
- Granite is the most durable countertop available. According to scientific theory (the Marble Institute of America), the newest piece of granite on the planet is almost 750 million years old… so old that granite’s durability isn’t measured in years – it’s measured in eons.
- No man-made product can match the natural beauty of real stone – the colors are extremely vivid and the look is very rich. The shine of natural stone is not the result of an applied finish – it comes from polishing with diamond abrasives, and polished granite will keep its high gloss virtually forever.
- Although pricing is on the higher end of the countertop market, the durability of granite makes it a more “cost effective” option – in short, it will retain its beauty and hold its value longer than any other countertop.
Natural Stone vs. Solid Surface
- “Solid Surface” is an industry term for products such as Corian, and both Natural Stone and Solid Surfaces are good choices for countertops based on their own individual characteristics.
- Solid Surfaces are manufactured and will be extremely consistent – they also come in colors that do not exist in nature. Every inch of a Solid Surface is basically the same as every other inch – which may be a benefit to some customers. In addition, the seams are made with “liquid” Solid Surface material which makes them virtually invisible – whereas the seams on a granite countertop are more apparent.The variations found in Natural Stone’s unique veins and markings are part of its beauty and make it a true work of art which no man-made product can match. In addition, granite is much harder than Solid Surface materials – and as stated above, it will retain its beauty and hold its value longer than any other countertop.
Natural Stone vs. Engineered Stone
- Engineered Stone is known by many names, and Rock Tops uses Technistone, Zodiaq and Okite which are 97% quartz in a resin base. With Engineered Stone there is no chance of staining or of needing to seal the stone.
- The main reason to use Engineered Stone is the large selection of color choices. This material gives you consistency of color while maintaining the hardness of granite – and Technistone comes with a 10-year warranty.
Why Engineered Stone
- Engineered stones are composed of 93% pure natural quartz crystals. With a diamond-like hardness, they offer stain and scratch resilience greater than any comparable product on the market. This unique combination allows these stone surfaces to be NSF (National Sanitation Foundation) approved, which makes them ideal for commercial and residential applications.
- Technistone® is made using a combination of 93 % Quartz, Quartz Silica, Granite or Recycled Mirror*, combined with 7 % resin, colors, and binders. This mixture is pressed into 52” X 120” sheets using a unique and proprietary vibration-vacuum-compression process. The sheets are then heat treated, cooled, ground (calibrated) and polished to a high gloss shine. Each sheet is then individually inspected under bright lighting for any flaws or possible defects. Our quality control standards are your assurance that Technistone is the finest material available for your Quartz surfacing needs.Technistone slabs are available in 52″ x 120″ x (3/4″ or 1 1/8″ thick) and in tile 3/8″ X 12″ x 12″ , 16″ x 16″ or 24″ x 24″. 3/4″ Technistone tile pavers are available by special order only.Technistone’s 20 Techni-Colors® provide you with an exceptional variety of rich colors and textures allowing you to create the perfect environment and effect in all of your residential and commercial design needs. Technistone® was developed specifically for the Kitchen and Bath industry with today’s sophisticated homeowners desires and needs in mind. Technistone engineered stone combines the desirable characteristics of both solid surface products such as Corian® with natural stone products such as Granite and Marble. In bringing together these qualities, Technistone eliminates the weaknesses of both. Technistone truly is the “next generation” in solid surface and stone surfacing.Unlike Granite, Technistone® is much stronger having a flexural strength of over 4 times that of natural stone. Technistone is 99.9% solid; zero porosity means no place for dangerous bacteria or microorganisms such as salmonella to grow and accumulate. Oil, sodas, wine, water and common household chemicals have no effect on Technistone. Technistone is literally a “Super-natural stone”. Unlike plastic based Solid Surface materials like Corian®, Technistone is highly scratch and heat resistant. Technistone comes standard with an easy to maintain high gloss finish not possible with solid surface.
Technistone® engineered stone is the most versatile, durable and beautiful design surface available today. Technistone is clearly the premiere choice for all your design surfacing needs.
Technistone™ is durable and resilient and will provide you with many years of trouble free use. Technistone is 99.9% solid and nearly impossible to stain.
Residue on the surface of Technistone appearing as stains is only topical. These topical stains are easily removed with a white Scotch-Brite scrubber and any one of many common household cleaners available today including Mr. Clean, 409, Simple Green, Fantastic etc.
Technistone™ is heat resistant and under normal cooking conditions is not affected. Extreme heat can affect the beauty of any Quartz surface. Technistone requires the use of trivets for roasting pans, skillets, soup / stewing pots and all electric countertop cooking devices.
What are the DO’s and DON’Ts of Granite?
- DO use StoneTech™ Professional BulletProof™ Sealer to protect your stone.
- DO clean up spills immediately to minimize damage to your stone.
- DO use trivets or mats under hot dishes and cookware.
- DO use place mats under china, ceramics, silver and other objects that can scratch your stone’s surface.
- DO use coasters under glasses, especially if they contain alcohol or citrus juices.
- DO clean surfaces regularly with StoneTech™ Professional Revitalizer™ Cleaner & Protector.
- DO call our DuPont Care Center for assistance.
- DON’T wait to clean up spills on stone.
- DON’T use cleaners that contain acid such as bathroom cleaners, grout cleaners or tub cleaners.
- DON’T use vinegar, bleach, ammonia or other general-purpose cleaners.
- DON’T use abrasive cleaners such as dry cleansers or soft cleansers.
- DON’T use alkaline cleaners not specifically