Common Travertine Applications: Travertine is commonly used outside as cladding and pavement, as well as inside for floors, walls and countertops.
Travertine is a natural stone formation formed when groundwater deposits minerals along the banks of streams and rivers, natural underground springs or limestone caves. Travertine is an ancient stone that can make for exquisite countertops, among other things. This unique stone can be found in a color spectrum of grays, beiges, and various hues of white. It adds a comforting feel to a home and is one of the more popular stones selected for home design. The appearance of travertine is unquestionably attractive, though, a quality that might even triumph its appearance is its durability.
Four Distinctly Different Finishes Provides Four Different Types:
- Polished– Polished to a luxurious glossy finish that readily reflects light, polished travertine usually presents vibrant colors. Travertine polishes nicely and holds a durable, lasting shine for a considerable time before needing to be re-polished. Polished travertine flooring is also highly stain resistant.
- Honed– Perhaps the most popular by far is honed travertine. It features a polished surface that is not brought all the way to a high gloss shine giving the surface a more matted and non-slip appearance giving it a more natural appearance which more closely resembles travertine in its pristine state.
- Brushed– The softened colors present in brushed travertine reflect the least amount of light. The surface of brushed travertine is treated with wire brushes which are used to abrade the surface. The finished product exhibits a prominent texture. Brushed travertines require a heavy sealant to protect it from moisture and stains.
- Tumbled– Resembling brushed travertine, tumbled travertine looks more weathered and aged. Tumbled travertine’s rounded edges give it more character than brushed travertine and more distinctive characteristics. This type of travertine also requires a heavy sealant to protect it from water and stains.
Benefits of Travertine:
- Appealing Features: Trаvеrtіnе tіlе іѕ a nаturаl ѕоft ѕtоnе ѕіmіlаr to thаt оf lіmеѕtоnе but because оf іtѕ dеnѕіtу it іѕ also соnѕіdеrеd a tуре оf marble thаt hаѕ bееn аrоund for hundreds оf уеаrѕ аnd іѕ widely used in homes across USA, Italy аnd Grеесе tо make flooring, wаllѕ аnd pavers.
- Low Maintenance: Travertine tіlеѕ аrе robust аnd have mаnу long-lasting ԛuаlіtіеѕ, whісh аrе easy to mаіntаіn аnd еаѕіlу kерt сlеаn. Home wаllѕ require a lot оf mаіntеnаnсе gеnеrаllу, уеt travertine wаllѕ аrе one of thе most соѕt-еffесtіvе аnd uѕеr-frіеndlу as thіѕ tile does nоt require аnу еxреnѕіvе аbrаѕіvе оr асіdіс сlеаnеrѕ tо kеер them сlеаn.
- Environmentally Friendly: Travertine tіlеѕ, unlіkе роrсеlаіn tiles, аrе nаturаl ѕtоnе, carved out оf ԛuаrrіеѕ and thеn cross-cut into ѕmаllеr blocks. We are аll bесоmіng mоrе аwаrе аbоut thе dangers оf glоbаl warming and іtѕ effects оn nature аѕ more аnd mоrе hоmеѕ аrе сhооѕіng есо-frіеndlу рrоduсtѕ thаt аrе durаblе. Onсе travertine tіlеѕ аrе ѕеаlеd thеу dо nоt аbѕоrb duѕt оr сhеmісаlѕ helping tо kеер your home nоt оnlу charming іn арреаrаnсе but also bасtеrіа frее.
Travertine is easy to match in look and color should you require replacement tiles in the future. Another advantage may be travertine’s softness, which makes it easier to cut and shape. It’s also more environmentally friendlier than a lot of flooring materials as it is used in its natural state; meaning any leftover material is simply pieces of stone you can use as drainage in your potted plants, or simply scatter about your garden, giving it a more natural feel.
Travertine is a calcareous stone like marble. It is frequently used as flooring material. It is a durable and attractive substance that is much softer than granite. Like marble, it is sensitive to vinegar and other acidic substances, so you should approach cleaning and polishing travertine in the same manner as you would marble. To keep your travertine in excellent condition, have it sealed every three to five years with normal use.